Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Cost of MP3s

There has been a lot of talk lately about MP3s. Who should be recording them? Who should be offering them? Why they are not offering them. Where they are being used. And what to charge.
I always like FREE! I also know that is not always feasible. What is really puzzling to me is the disparity of pricing on MP3s by different ministries.

I was perusing my favorite preachers and teachers the other day on OnePlace.com so I thought I would just see what the standard was for charging for MP3s. Here is what I found:

A New Beginning w/ Greg Laurie -- FREE w/registration
Living On the Edge w/ Chip Ingram -- $3.00
The Alternative w/ Dr. Tony Evans -- $4.50
Love Worth Finding w/ Adrian Rogers -- $2.50
The Connection w/ Pastor Skip Heitzig -- FREE w/registration
Ed Young Ministries -- $6.00
All of the Thru the Bible series w/ Dr. J. Vernon McGee -- FREE
Turning Point w/ Dr. David Jeremiah -- $3.50
Grace to You w/ John MacArthur -- $4.00
Walk in the Word w/ Dr. James MacDonald -- $3.00

These are just my favorites. There are many more available. I think the results are interesting. I was not surprised to find Dr. J. Vernon McGee was offered for free. He passed in 1988 I believe so all of this great material is archived for us to enjoy. I was surprised to see the jump up to $6.00 for Ed Young Ministries though. Not that he isn't worth it but that price is considerably higher on average than the others.

All in all I will be downloading Greg Laurie, Skip Heitzig and Dr. J. Vernon McGee on a regular basis. There are messages and series by the ministers listed above that I have bought before so they are not out of the question to download from time to time for the fee.

So, my question is, how do we determine to charge or not to charge for MP3s?
I know some churches are offering their messages for FREE
If you are currently offering MP3s what factors did you use to determine a price or not charge at all?

No comments: