Thursday, October 27, 2005

Marketing to Churches

Almost all major manufactures, distributors and dealers have a person or team that is dedicated to the “houses of worship” market now. I’m sure that most of these companies are thrilled to have a new avenue of revenue. But is the church market different from other markets? I would surely hope so. An article titled Marketing to Churches Requires Subtlety, Staying Power in Sound & Video Contractor explores this new phenomenon.

Word of mouth takes top billing as the most effective marketing in churches SVC determines. I’m thinking that word of mouth is the most effective marketing period; regardless of product or market. Word of mouth will make the sale or condemn it faster than anything.

The article goes on to correctly assess that building relationships is the best way to do business with churches. I can agree with that assessment. We do want to build relationships because that is our nature as Christians. Unless we are given the gift of evangelism the best way for us to share Christ is through our relationships with others. We have the opportunity to reach people for Christ that in the past have mostly dealt with markets in the secular entertainment business. That market is not known for fostering relationships but mostly of lending endorsement.

The article mentions that in larger scale projects a church will often seek a professional consultant. Not a bad idea but why limit that to large scale projects? I believe an honest, professional consultant who specializes in church audio, video and lighting should be the first relationship we should build. Make sure you find a consultant that knows churches and more importantly loves the Lord. They will be looking out for your best interest. I have had to write very meticulous, specific RFP (requests-for-proposal) for contractors to bid on and follow up on their every step because many are not looking out for you. Of course always accepting the lowest bid doesn’t always help either but that is a different issue. Anyway, I strongly urge any of you who need to have a system designed, revamped or replaced and you are not 100% sure of what you need then most definitely contact a consultant.
I will admit that when it comes to equipment needed in churches that I don’t possess the knowledge to know what is best or what is specifically needed for a certain application. I have no problem operating, repairing and managing but my strength is not design. Therefore I trust consultants to guide me so that I may be the best steward of the resources that God has entrusted me with. I pray that you do the same.

No comments: