Monday, May 01, 2006

Nothing But The Truth

I actually was able to visit a church this past Sunday. I can’t remember the last time I visited another church. I was afraid that I would be analyzing the place as to what was needed for audio, video and lighting and be completely distracted from being involved in the worship service. I did analyze the sanctuary at Elkin Valley Baptist Church in Elkin, NC but I was not distracted. The service was traditional and I was making mental notes of what was needed in media during each element including the sermon. Although I was doing that I was still able to enjoy the service and hear a great sermon from Pastor Johnny Blevins. I hear expository preaching just about every Sunday but it has been a while since I heard an exposition on just one verse. That one verse was Ephesians 4:25

Ephesians 4:25 (ESV) 25Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

Pastor Blevins sermon was titled “Nothing but the Truth”. The three major points that Pastor Blevins shared with us were:
  1. Lying is incompatible with the Christian life.

  2. Truthfulness is characteristic of the Christian life.

  3. Speaking the truth is essential for the body of Christ.

This sermon was the final straw in something I have been struggling with. I had been asked to give a description of my blog for an upcoming feature and I realized that I had started this blog as a place to rant and vent. That is why I used a screen name or an alias as it was. I was hiding behind that instead of being completely truthful. Of course the reason for blogging had changed really quickly from being negative to how I could help others and learn from the wealth of knowledge and wisdom in the blogosphere.

Therefore all pretenses are gone from this blog. No more not being totally honest with those that read this blog. The description of the blog has changed as well as my profile. I want to be completely truthful in all things as should be a characteristic of someone that loves the Lord and wants to serve Him with all I have.

I’m so grateful for the urgings of the Holy Spirit and Pastor Blevins being used as an instrument to show me how important complete honesty is to God and the body of Christ.

2 comments:

Budd said...

Its funny how something a little different can sometimes shake you up and make you see things differently.

Ernie Stevenson said...

That is the way the Lord works many times. He gets us out of our comfort zone and that is when He really speaks to us. That is why I believe in being still and hearing what God has for us. So many times I don't do that though.
Thanks for the comment!