Friday, March 16, 2007

Unleash Conference

WOW! I believe that is how Perry started out his post last night about the Unleash Conference and I would most certainly agree. I would have loved to post last night but I had some things that needed to get done before this morning. I’m also sure there are many reviews of the Conference already this morning seeing that Todd Rhoades, Gary Lamb, Chris Surratt, Pete Bishop, Steven Furtick and of course Tony Morgan and Perry Noble were all there. Also an anchor, Tonia Bendickson, from the channel I prefer to get my local news from was there with the Elevation crowd. All of the aforementioned guys have blogs that I read on a regular basis and the only one I had to chance to talk to was Tony Morgan and that was brief. I would have loved to seen a blogger meet and greet since so many of us were there but I believe that it would have needed to be the night before or something like that. Oh, yeah, this is about the conference.

I decided a few weeks ago that going to this conference would also be an excellent time to take a night and spend with my wife away from the house and kids so that is what we did. We arrived Wednesday evening after approximately a 100 mile drive. We had dinner and decided to go over and take advantage of the early check-in and find our way before the big day. The volunteers were nice and told us to take a look around and so we did. It was then that we met Sydney. She engaged us in conversation and was great to talk to and drew out a shortcut for us to take between our hotel and the church. That was a great help.

The next morning we arrived and after being directed to our parking place we departed our vehicle and were greeted by no less than 5 volunteers in the parking lot. I would say probably another 15 greeted us before we made it to the area of breakfast foods and drinks. I thought that was awesome but maybe a little too much for someone like me who had not yet had their first cup of coffee. Throughout the day the people of Newspring Church were outstanding. I have never seen a group of volunteers that excited about serving. One that keeps standing out is Sydney whose path we kept crossing. She was as helpful each time as the first time.

The first main session was titled “Go For It”. After an awesome time of worship through song, Perry jumped right in with both feet. If you have never heard Perry speak you can almost imagine what it is like if you read his blog. He writes just like he speaks. His four points were to establish creative environments, look beyond ourselves, pay attention and focus on what matters. Let me tell you that these four things apply to what ever area of ministry you are leading and not just senior pastors. I strive to create an environment that people want to serve. I preach looking beyond ourselves because what we do in media ministry is an offering to God. I don’t know how many times I have told my team to PAY ATTENTION. It is crucial in technical arts ministry to know what is going on. Of course that is made much easier with planning, preparation and practice. The last point was focus on what matters. In media ministry as in all ministries that is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is the reason we are serving at all. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are serving in a technical role just because you have an aptitude and feel obligated then you there for the wrong reason. Focus on Jesus!

The break out sessions were in a question and answer format. Not my favorite but I could deal. I attended the Newspring Experience and then Blogging in Communications. Our worship leader attended Leading Authentic Worship and told me that Joel Yates (audio engineer) was answering questions. If I had only known I would have been in there. As a group we tried to cover all of the sessions provided so it worked out.

Perry Noble from time to time states that a lot of times he feels like he has no idea what he is doing. I got that same sense from his staff in these break out sessions. And you know what? That is OK! These guys are not supposed to have all the answers for your church. They were good on telling what their experiences have been, where they have struggled in the past and where they are struggling now. It is up to us to glean from that and incorporate into our own ministry. I gained some tidbits that I can use and I appreciate that. I thought they did an excellent job!

The second and last main session was amazing. You know it has been a while since I had a chance to not have to concern myself with production or operate sound, video or lighting and just enjoy what was going on. Let me just say that I let all of the encumbrances of my hectic life just melt away and I praised my Lord. I want to thank Lee McDerment (worship leader) and the band and all of the singers and all of the people making it happen behind the scenes to allow me to have that precious time. THANK YOU!!!

Perry’s second session was titled “The Leadership Challenge” and he let it rip. I can’t remember the last time or if ever I heard someone tear into the institutions established by the church like I did yesterday. And he was right.

Perry’s four points on this session were Moses simply listened and obeyed, Moses didn’t compromise the vision, Moses didn’t try to do it all and Moses was willing to attempt anything. If you couldn’t tell he was using Moses as an example of leadership.
A quote that really stuck to me was when Perry said, “Leadership is as easy as listening to God.” I know that I have been struggling on what to do in some areas and I now realize that I have not been listening close enough. After some time with a friend this morning I realize that I’m in the will of God. I have just wanted to see too far ahead. My friend reminded that God will be a light to my feet and a lamp to my path but He is not going to illuminate the whole way for me to see. It all comes down to me trusting God. That is where I’m at right now. I need to trust God completely.

On the next point Perry points out that powerful people will try to altar your vision and that is so true. Don’t compromise what God has given you!

Thirdly, don’t try to do it all. Perry was all over my toes on this one. I want to be needed but I’m not. I need to let go and allow members of my team to grow. I use to be more diligent on asking my pastors what I could do for them and how I could help them better prepare for services but that has faltered. I’m going to get back to doing that and allow my team to do that as well.

The next and last point is a sticking point. Be willing to attempt anything. In other words, THINK BIG!!! I know that I have no idea what God is capable of doing through our church and ministries but I’m willing to let Him lead me. So many have God stuffed in a box and He is in there broke too. We as a church need to stop stifling the vision that God has given to the men and women He has chosen to do His work. You have all heard the old adage “Lead, follow or get out of the way!” That is the way that I feel about church and ministry right now. If God has given you a vision then you need to lead. If you can understand the vision that God has given someone then you need to follow. If you don’t fall into one of those then you need to get out of the way and start searching for where God wants you to be. I know that I’m going to be in a struggle because I serve in a committee led impaired church. Where do I plug in the vision that God has given me for using media and technology for His glory and purpose? I don’t know yet but I’m going to let God light my steps as I continue to follow the charge He has given me in 2 Timothy 4:5

2 Timothy 4:5(NLT) 5But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at bringing others to Christ. Complete the ministry God has given you.

I believe that Unleash is going to become one of the premiere conferences and I look forward to attending again next year. Thank you so very much to all of those involved in this conference for the experience.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ernie,
You stated that Perry's staff also seemed at times that they have "no idea WHAT they're doing" and that's OK. Honestly, you're exactly right - because they're nothing more than the vessel that God is moving and working through at Newspring. I heard some make similar statements about the staff but in a more negative way - all I can say is I am often amazed at the things that God does through, with and around me. Keep doing what you do!

Ernie Stevenson said...

Thanks Mike! God's power is perfected in our weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9) I pray that the staff at Newspring continues to boast in their weakness so that God may continue to work. I'm praying the same thing for me and my team.

Jane said...

Ernie... God has a purpose for all of us somewhere. I pray that if you are not where God wants you or you're not doing what God wants you to be doing where you are that He will show you just enough of your path to rock your world.

Thank you for all your comments on our conference. As in most ministries, it was much more of a blessing for us to minister to all of you than it was for you to learn from us. We as volunteers learned a ton yesterday about God and our team at NS...

I look forward to reading your blog over the next year to see how God is rocking your world. See you next year at Unleashed 2!

Praying for you,
Jane

Ernie Stevenson said...

Thanks Jane! Prayer is the most you can do!

I also meant to add that I was praying for your ministry as well Mike.

I'm going to start praying for all the people that attended Unleash.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ernie the media guy from First Baptist!!!

Thanks for the kind words on Tony's blog and yours. I didn't do anything special to merit such credit, but I appreciate the encouragement! I'm pretty sure everyone involved in UNLEASH had a major encounter with God somehow. It was intense from start to finish and certainly exceeded our expectations! I'm glad you and your wife could come and soak up some Jesus too. It is so refreshing to get away.

Happy applying everything you took learned!! See you next time.

Cheers,
Sydney O

Dave said...

Thanks for posting about the conference, Ernie. It was a little frustrating being so close but unable to attend this time. I thought for a minute on Wednesday we might be far enough along that I could cut out for the day on Thursday, but it was a good thing I stayed since we ended up doing a 14-15 hour day to finish our next set which was very much worth it. I'm excited to hear they're probably going to it again next year, and I'm going to put it on my calendar now!

Ernie Stevenson said...

Sydney, you were a blessing as was all the staff and volunteers at Newspring were to us that day. Thanks again!

It was great to get away with my wife too. We had not had a chance to have a conversation without interuption in a long while. It was something that needs to happen on a more regular basis.

Ernie Stevenson said...

Hey Dave! I kept wondering if you going to make it. Maybe next year.
I want to get down and visit you guys too.