Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blogging & Hosting, Hosting & Blogging

Although I don't have as much time to blog as I once did I still feel that something is lacking in the current blog other than posts. I registered a domain and signed up for hosting with the same company last summer but I soon found out that this company is not truly blogger friendly or user friendly for that matter. I never had the time to really build a great site and was not happy with the templates and tools provided. Plus all the user interfaces were very confusing. I'm also not comfortable supporting this company with their questionable advertising and antics of their CEO.

I'm looking to a host that knows blogging. My ideal set up is a blog that is primary and a web site that is secondary and not the other way around like most hosting. Although I'm good enough and smart enough and people like me I just don't have time to build a website from the ground up so I need great looking templates and easy to use web tools. I'm also wanting to know the ramifications of domain transfer, if any.

My current hosting agreement expires in August so I have a few months to play with here. So, let me know what is the way to go? Now the last time I asked about something you guys left me hanging so help a brother out on this one. Let me add that I'm leaning toward Wordpress for a blogging tool and have looked at Blue Host, AN Hosting & Dreamhost to name a few.

I'm hoping and praying to increase my efforts in this part of ministry and would love to offer something that is of better use and value to you my subscribers and to the many that visit this site everyday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd strongly suggest going to Wordpress. As far as hosting goes, I've heard good things about Dreamhost, but I liked the extras that GoDaddy offered. I too don't have time to design my site, but there's a TON of good-looking wordpress themes out there.

Ernie Stevenson said...

Thanks Justin!

Anonymous said...

Doh! I hate it when my posts get eaten..let's try this again...

I strongly echo what Justin said about Wordpress. It's what I use for iamanoffering and I love it.

No offense to Justin, but I would discourage us supporting sites like GoDaddy.com, as they encourage you to watch their horrible Super Bowl ad right from their homepage.

I use ICDSoft and I really love it. They're support is phenomenal and I had my blog up and running in no time.

Anonymous said...

Sorry..my link wasn't put in correctly..the correct link is here.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I offer website/blog design and hosting, we are a hosting reseller with a virtual private server(VPS) and our uptime is as close to 100% as you can get. It's affordable too. We run a linux server and wordpress is easily installed, either manually or thru fantastico.

Wordpress rocks, it is the way to go for blogging. There are many hosting options out there, many good, some not, but I just want to throw this out there for you.

My wife has a site where she specializes in websites and hosting for authors and we are getting ready to launch a site offering the same to churches and ministries.

Don't wanna leave you hangin' again. :)

Ernie Stevenson said...

Ryan, thank you and I completely agree about Go Daddy. I went with them because I researched what web masters as a whole were using not just churches and ministries and Go Daddy won out. I didn't realize until I started using them that I would be bombarded with temptations. So for my own spiritual well being I would rather not visit their site to have to interface my site.

Ernie Stevenson said...

It appears that Wordpress is the way to go for blogging.

Jim, thanks for not leaving me hanging :>) You struck the right chord when you said "affordable too". I would be very interested in what you and your wife have to offer in the way of hosting and design. You can shoot me some details at tech.ministry@gmail.com