Saturday, January 21, 2006

Effective Church Website Planning

Wow!  Is the Lord’s timing awesome or what?  I was about to make a huge mistake with our church’s website and the Lord leads me to a blog and article that I have never visited before.  The article it titled Ten Things to Know About Your Church Website and is posted on BetaChurch.org

I have not been pleased with our web presence for…well…ever.  Actually if I had visited our church’s website before attending several years ago I probably would have passed.  So when our host contract expired at the end of the year we just let it expire.  Right now we have a web address with no content.  I want to do it right.  As in any other area of ministry, I believe that entails much planning and preparation and prayer.  We want a website that is a true representation of our church and is actually useful.  We need a website that is effective for evangelism and information.

My plan was to start a team that would develop a website that would be honoring to God and not just thrown together.  I’m still going to go ahead with that plan but I was just about to cave and get something put up temporarily.  Then I read this article in which two points were A bad website is worse than no website and Do not follow the path of least resistance…you will regret it.

I’m first and foremost a sound guy and know enough to be really dangerous when it comes to website administration and design.  This article made perfect sense to me and gives me a better understanding of a vision for our own website.  Probably because this article was written by a pastor who a year ago knew less than I do now but has learned a great deal.  I thank this pastor for sharing the wisdom that the Lord has developed in him.

I pray this year I can announce the launch of a website that is honoring to God, truly a representation of our church and useful to our church family.  

3 comments:

Ernie Stevenson said...

I most certainly did, thank you! I would have given specific credit to you but I did not see an author named when I read the post.

Anonymous said...

It's a learning curve, to be sure. But it's definitely worth it in the long run. There are several "quick fix" solutions out there that will leave you dissatisfied in the long run. If you put together a team of some type for the purpose of developing your new website, I would recommend having somebody on there with some knowledge about web standards and best practices in web design. That will go a long way in getting you the web presence you need. And if you want, when you're all done you should be able to publish this blog on your new website and lose the ".blogspot" in your name. Just some thoughts!

Ernie Stevenson said...

Thanks Rick! I truly believe in surrounding yourself with people that know more than you do about any given subject. I have sought out a few web gurus but most of all they need to have a servant's heart.
I had not thought about adding this blog but I had thought about getting our pastors blogging. They write an article every week for the church newsletter already.
Thanks for the tips!