Thursday, January 05, 2006

In With The New And Old

It is that time of the year when we start thinking about a fresh start and making new plans.  There may be some of you embarking on new system designs or new construction projects.  We also start on our new budgets.  I’ve been struggling in this area for the last couple of years.  I submit a budget and it is cut in half by the stewardship committee.  I make do with what I have for another year and purchase critical items and consumables with maybe an intermediate equipment purchase.  I then complain about what we could do if we had this or that.  In the end we find a way to make everything look and sound good.  After reading a blog post and a article, the Lord has helped me realize that He is using what we have to let people see and hear what He wants them to see and hear.  The equipment maybe old but it is working most of the time.  When we have had equipment problems we have been able to repair or replace at minimum to no cost.  

The blog post that sparked my thinking was by Pete Bishop in his post titled “What Do You Have?”  Some quotes that stuck with me were, “Maybe instead of asking why don't we....  we should ask what do I have?” and Our perceived "lack of" will always keep our eyes on the problem and off of the solution, but we are never done until we have looked at each problem from every angle. Until we have looked at where we are and where we need to go.  Until we look at available supplies (solutions) and not unavailable ones (problems). Miracles will occur when outcomes are not humanly possible!”

Then I was catching up on some e-newsletters when I ran across a Shure Notes for Houses of Worship.  The features were on sound system design.  The first article I read was titled “Vision in Sound Design” by Josh Isenhart who is Director of Technical Ministries at Lakeview Church in Indianapolis, IN.  His first step says “Old Isn’t Necessarily Bad”.  Isenhart goes on to say, “Before you start drafting that shopping list, take the time to assess the equipment you have on hand. Just because it’s old, it doesn’t mean it isn’t serviceable.”

Also in that same Shure Notes there was an article covering the Highly Intelligible Sound System Standard or HIS System Standard developed by Joseph De Buglio, author and audio consultant who has evaluated over 500 churches in North America.  De Buglio has produced goals and standards that I believe that all churches could adhere to when planning a new design for a sound system.  You can check out the article here.

What I’ve been hearing is that I need to take a second look at my old equipment and see the possibilities and not the problems.  Then when there is a definite need for new equipment or a system then I need to make sure that I have goals and standards in place.    I’ve been experiencing first hand the equipment performing superbly when needed but not seeing and hearing what everyone else was experiencing.  I’m a perfectionist so it may never look and sound like I want it to but if people are being touched by an element being amplified or projected or lighted then who am I to question what God uses.

I will be seeking a fresh perspective by bringing in consultants for audio and video this year but I will also be seeking God’s will so that I may be a good steward of the equipment, people and resources in which I have been entrusted.  In doing so I may see and hear what God is doing through this ministry.

No comments: