Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Wisdom in Ministry Leadership

There has been some great dialog in the last couple of days concerning the purpose of media in ministry. I pray for direction daily because the hardest part of media ministry is the ministry I believe. The technical side can be child’s play in comparison to the human factor in utilizing media and technology to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I’ve been searching and I present a couple of gems of wisdom to you.


Tech is merely a tool of ministry. Technicians are ministers, using their craft and gear to minister and that IS what our mindset
should always be. Tech is a means to an end, not the end itself.

As a church tech team leader, I have both paid and volunteer staff. They all are at different stages, of life, ministry, and spiritual growth. I spend a lot of time speaking into them the 'vision' and why we do what we do. I have found that patience is key. I can't change the attitude of my staff, I can lead by example and preach the doctrine of doing all we do with excellence and a servants heart. It is ongoing and something I have to be aware of all the time.

Being a tech in church is very complicated. Things happen, good things and bad things. Staff always looks to leadership for their reaction to both. We, as leaders, are responsible to praise God in the good times and trust him in the bad. We must realize when
things go correctly that God is glorified and when things go bad that the most important thing we can do is to keep a good attitude and resolve the situation with technical excellence and a servants heart.


That excerpt was from a post titled Why and What at Soundbooth.com. Attitude is sometimes very hard to sequester and patience is hard to come by but they are a key to good leadership. This post mentioned “to praise God in the good times and trust him in the bad.” Let me add to thank God in the good and bad times as well.


1 Thessalonians 5:16 - 18 (NLT) 16Always be joyful. 17Keep on praying. 18No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

Because we know that God is in all things. It doesn’t matter if it is good or bad. God is there.


Romans 8:28 (TLB) 28And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into his plans.


Now I’m usually the one that likes to whine first but then I realize that I have to eat the cheese too. I might not like what is happening and I might get frustrated that the same problem keeps popping up and sometimes I get down right angry. When it comes down to it I have been given the responsibility for media ministry at this church. I need to become the “solutionist” or I need to seek out “solutionist” from my team.

Anthony Coppedge had this to say in his post today titled Tech Leadership: “The Right Solutions”;

Become a solutionist and bring comprehensive options to your leadership. It won't get fixed on its own; you need to be the catalyst as a solutionist!

Anthony also had this to say;

As you can tell, what I'm describing is nothing more than open, honest communication without pretense. Hearing me say it is one thing: living it out is another!

“Open, honest communication without pretense” is what I have learned is a must with dealing with anger, frustration and other’s personalities. It is a key to resolving conflict, building relationships and getting the job done. Living it out is most certainly difficult.

Thank you very much gentlemen for your posts of wisdom. They have helped me tremendously and hope they do others as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all need to remember why we do what we do whether as pastor, staff, or volunteer! It's not about us but all about Him!!

DVD duplicators said...

God bless you

Anonymous said...

thanks