Thursday, June 23, 2005

How-To Church Sound Workshop


I attended this workshop last year and although Mike Sokol is a brilliant sound engineer I was not planning to participate again this year. Then I looked closer and saw that in fact they had actually heeded the feedback that they had received from evaluations and made some changes. This year they will be offering a 3 hour Friday night session along with the all day Saturday and it appears that the workshops will be more hands-on and more in-depth than in previous years. The Friday night session will cover the basic church audio system and Saturday will really get into the equipment, techniques and physics of sound. The workshop may be definitely worthwhile to attend again.
Unlike some other seminars and workshops I have attended Fits and Starts Production provides an excellent participants guide to go along with the workshop and as a added bonus if you attend the workshop at a college or university then credit hours are also awarded for completion. At least that was the case with the college I attended.
These workshops are scheduled for 8 out of 12 months so check out their website to see if they will be at a church or institution of higher learning near you. I noticed that they do not have any workshops scheduled for July (vacation I'm sure). The workshops will resume in August in my state of South Carolina. After that they will be in VA, NJ, TN, DE & IN. Worth the money for quality training on live sound reinforcement.

No comments: