Thursday, June 30, 2005

A Strange Thing Happened on the Way to Work

A strange thing happened to me on the way to work the other day. The radio in my old T-Bird decided to lose its memory. All of sudden I was listening to NOISE on 600 AM, the clock was 0:00 and all my presets were back to factory default. I switched back to FM and started searching through the frequencies to re-enter my presets. When I did I ran across a station that was playing a song that hit a chord with me. I'm mostly a praise & worship (Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Don Moen, Paul Baloche) and contemporary (Building 429, Casting Crowns, Third Day) fan but this black gospel song really grabbed me.

First of all I was pleased that there was another Christian station in the market because Christian radio is on the decline according to the Barna Group. (See More People Use Christian Media Than Attend Church) I discovered this station was put on the air at the beginning of this year by Radio One. I don't really care for the slogan of "Get Your Praise On" but I'm really enjoying the music and songs. If you are in the Charlotte, NC area or if you ever visit the station is 100.9 WPRZ.

Anyway, I was really getting into this song I was hearing. Naturally I had to do some research. I found out the song was titled "War Cry" and it was by a new artist on the scene, Micah Stampley. Then I needed to know more about the artist and his heart and I found the answer in an interview conducted by Gospelflava.com He truly has a heart for the Lord and the song is a get you up off your seat anthem for the present day. A day in which I believe that we as Christians should be doing more for the kingdom of God on Who this great nation was built. I think of that more as we are approaching Independence Day. (More on that at my Christian Action web site)

The Lord is always at work in our everyday lives. He uses people, songs and even malfunctioning radios in an old T-Bird to speak to us in some way. Even we think that something is to our detriment we can be sure that God is teaching us, growing us, refining us or just plain looking out for us in a way we just didn't understand at the time.

OK when I go out of town where can I find a great Christian radio station? What are your favorites? Another one for Charlotte is WMIT 106.9

No comments: